Jaeger Machine Company
Jaeger Machine Company was based in Columbus, Ohio. It was affiliated with Lakewood Engineering Company (Collection 1756), owning it as a subsidiary from at least 1935 through c. 1949. During this time, form-riding concrete paving equipment was built using the Jaeger-Lakewood name. Jaeger ultimately absorbed Lakewood.
According to Highway Truck Mixer sales literature, Ackert Bickel, a contractor and engineer in Kansas City, Missouri, patented the first transit mixer, and in 1920 the first fleet of transit mixers was used on a road job in Kansas City. The Transit Mixer Company was founded in Kansas City to produce these machines, and its patent for a powered, truck-mounted transit mixer was acquired by Highway Truck Mixer Company (Collection 1740). Jaeger Machine Company (Collection 438) and Lakewood Engineering Company (Collection 1756) owned Highway Truck Mixer and manufactured its products in Columbus, Ohio. Apparently, Jaeger eventually merged Highway Truck Mixer into itself.
Jaeger sales literature printed in 1935 claimed that its Columbus, Ohio, factory was the world’s largest devoted exclusively to construction equipment manufacture.
Jaeger built its own gas engine at one point; by 1924, Hercules Engine Company (Collection 421) engines were used instead.
In 1989, Compressed Air Parts purchased the assets of the compressor division of Jaeger Machine Company of Columbus, Ohio.